There is one open-ended question that novice or even skilled hunters tend to ask. It reaches a point that, they know the answer but quite confused on how and who to ask. What is the best compound bow for hunting or target practice? I usually respond that it only depends on your ideal compound bow selection and finding one that will best suit your preference. You find that I might like super speed bow, but on the other hand, you are looking for a novice type kind of bow.
In this article, I will help you to understand various types compound bows and also review my top ten best selection of best youth bow sets in the market. Before that, it is advised to select your compound bow based on better information and everyday understating of various design in the market and options. I am clearly saying this due to doubtful information out there. But no worries, allow me to help you determine what matters and also what doesn’t.
How to Select the Best Compound Bow in the Market
Before I start my unbiased selection, it is important to know that there are two types of most used compound bows in the market. Thus the recurve bow and compound bow.
- Compound bow: Is a type of hunting product that uses pulleys to bend the limbs easily and also level itself from various systems of cables. This makes work easier for the hunter to draw back with much ease, thanks to the help of the leveling system.
- Recurve bows: when the bow is strung, it tends to curve away from you. The only difference is that recurve bows tend to touch a part of the limb, where the bow is strung.
Best Compound Bow Selection
- Age: Lots of manufacturers have designed youth compound bows in such a way that they can’t often be upgraded. For this reason, they can be used by adult novice archers. Note that you will never come across with a compound bow that is only designed for five to eighteen years old. If you have younger kid, consider purchasing the smallest bow in the market and then upgrade to another level when need be. Consequently, you only need to buy one type of youth bow for your older kid before he or she is ready to test the adult rig.
- Speed and Specifications: specification is determined by the level of the draw weight and length of the bow. If you happen to select longer bow, then you will experience great target practice with an accurate shot. A short compound bow will be ideal for youths and beginners (38-44”)
- Single Cam and Dual Cam Systems: These are typically compound bow systems that draw your bow more steadily and then releasing it multiple times with less effort. Single-cam compound bow is quite advantageous since it doesn’t wear out easily and also produce less to no sound. On the other hand, dual systems tend to produce noise and can sometimes be tedious.
- Left and Right hand Bows: Never attempt to take or purchase a right hand bow, if you know that you are a right handed person. Consider speaking to a professional and determine the right bow. You find that some of you are a right handed then you will use a left-handed bow and vice versa. It is also mandatory that you are in good position for an accurate shot. Consider this when selecting bows for your child.
- Adequate supervision: Don’t be in a hurry to have your best compound bow for hunting or targeting. Survey online and offline market, take your time and read more compound bow reviews. Join various archery clubs and try to corporate by asking questions and talking to the experts. Listen to several opinions about compound bow hunting. Under professional supervision, try out various types of compound bows and select the one that suits you best, remember to also consider above factors to your children as well.
My Top Ten Best Compound Bow in the Market
DIAMOND INFINITE EDGE PRO COMPOUND BOW
Speculation and rumors are the main things that are driving many archery lovers to seek out the finest compound bow. That is why I have introduced to you the Diamond Infinite Edge Pro on my top one list.
Lots of focus has been placed by targeting on the beginners as well as children. The features say it all. Worry less if you have a straight travel arrow but thank The Diamond Archery for creating the eccentric cam system that provides a straight flight.
Not to mention it also comes with a cable slide which is smooth and enjoyable.
- Includes an extended draw length for longer draw archers
- The solid back wall for maximum security
- It is a multi-shooter design bow
- Suitable for both kids and adults
- 100% ready to shoot compound bow
Verdict: This best compound bow comes with great high-end parts: sight, rest, arrows, bow case, stabilizer, wrist sling, mechanical release and much more.
With this, you are 100% guaranteed to get secured parts without worry. You don’t have to assemble since it comes ready for action the moment you unpack it from the box.
Besides, you can adjust the draw weight with much ease thanks to the well-designed hex bolts. Overall: Highly designed to quench your hunting thirst.
SAS SERGEANT COMPOUND BOW
The twin cams and CNC machines make this bow one of the smoothest and accurate compound bows. It has secure and sturdy limbs thanks to the back pivoting limb pocket that accommodates the rigid tolerance for optimum accuracy.
- Feature a 40.5” axle: draw length 29.”
- It is designed to shoot 235 feet per second
- Comes with twin cams for adjustability
- The package includes Arrow rest, quiver, finger tab, Arm Guard and 3-Pin Sight
- Twister arrow rest
- It is a great beginner and intermediate bow
Verdict: The bow is meant to last for many years to come since the included layered limb that draws weight from 55lbs is strong. The bubbles grooves that are attached to the riser provide you with a firm grip all day long. You are advised to use a 30” Carbon and aluminium arrow.
AW PRO COMPOUND BOW SET
It is an excellent bow for travel hunting. It is very easy to set and adjust, thus highly recommended for children and novice hunters. You can also opt to turn the hex bolts to get your draw weight as desired.
- Comes with an aluminium alloy riser with top notch intensity
- The stainless steel cable guard assures you with optimum security
- It is very to adjust the draw weight and length
- Equipped with string silencer and peephole
- Draw weight-20-70lbs: Draw light 17-29”: Bow Weight: 3.6lbs: Arrow length: 30”
Verdict: Instead of regretting as to why you bought this compound bow by AW, you will be glad to know that you will hunt for long years to come due to its guaranteed longevity.
Not only is it made with fiberglass and aluminium alloy but also gives you accurate shots with the help of string silencer and peep hole. In fact, it is one of my favorite and top list compound bows in the market.
4. BEAR ARCHERY CRUZER COMPOUND BOW
It is a well solid built compound bow that is typically aimed to be used by the youth market and beginners. You are assured of teaching your child with much ease due to the equipped 75% let-off for maximum gripping at full draw.
It typically means that the Cruzer only takes 23% of the full draw force.100% made in the USA, hence being able to trust that the brand is made with top notch material. Above are some of the reasons as to why it comes with more positive reviews than other models.
- Draw Weight: 5-70lbs; Draw Length: 12-30.”
- It is very easy to adjust and shoot straight
- Comes with an aluminium frame for maximum resilience
- The Max-Preload Quad Limbs provides the bow with super speed power
- Offset Spring suppresser
- Designed as a ready to hunt bow
Verdict: This cost effective compound bow also comes with more than two accessories. Besides, it is advised for you to ask a professional to fine tune for you; hence coming up with a complete and standardized compound bow.
I am simply saying this because lots of consumers have argued that it was difficult at first to add various minor adjustments. Besides, it is a reputable brand so worry less about quality.
Any Cons: Unfortunately I didn’t find any significant limitation. Overall: It is a must have compound bow for kids and adults.
BARNETT VORTEX YOUTH ARCHERY BOW
The Barnett Vortex is typically defined as a great starter Youth compound bow since it easy to use and adjust. Quite a reasonable priced bow hence you won’t feel a pinch while planning to purchase the entire extra.
I have had a chance to use this best youth bow and from my experience, I can ideally say that it is highly recommended for beginners and youth hunters.
- Has an adequate strength to hunt a deer
- Superb for young and novice hunters
- The bow is well built for sufficient accuracy
Verdict: As far as my 12-year-old nephew used it, I noticed that the included arrows are powerful enough. For this reason, it is okay if you can purchase the whisker biscuit arrows to use along with the compound bow.
What I like about this Barnett Vortex is that you can quickly adjust the screws so as to reduce the level of draw weight. Overall: Perfect compound bow for beginners.
GENESIS ORIGINAL KIT COMPOUND BOW
Genesis bows are widely known to deliver top notch adjustment and accuracy. Not only that, they are well equipped with unique features which makes them to be used for both experienced and novice hunters.
Talking about the Original Kit by Genesis is like whispering about a legendary celebrity. In other words, it is highly constructed with single-cam technology for maximum leveling.
Prepare yourself to receive the quietest and more accurate bow compound. Aluminium made riser provides you with adequate precision.
- It is 100% official bow by the National Archery in the Schools Program (NASP)
- Recommended for all ages, size, and athletics
- Comes with machined 60601-T6 Aluminium Riser, Idler Wheel, durable bowstring and composite limbs
- The package includes: belt tube quiver, five aluminium arrows, adjustable arm guard and instruction manual
Verdict: One interesting thing about this best compound bow is that your child won’t be able to overgrow it. In simple terms, it requires less effort since it doesn’t have specific draw length.
You will also forget about tuning issues and start to focus more on strengthening your archery skills.
HIGH FIVE 555 SCORCHER COMPOUND BOW
It is very easy to adjust hence creating ample room to grow with your child. It doesn’t have a cable but an actual string that allows you to set the draw with much ease.
Just like the high-end finishes, the string comes with three types of finger rolls hence preventing further torque.
- Recommended for 10 and above age
- Draw weight: 16/29 pounds; Draw Length: 28.5”
- Includes 65% let off with adjustable aluminium cams
- Spider two piece quiver
- Quarto Limb design and HogNose Peep System provides you with ample lighting ability
- Includes 3-pin fiber optic light system which is well built with blackstrap Magnesium Riser Design
Overall: The bow has been specifically designed for youth archers between the age of ten and above. You will appreciate how this compound bow is easy to adjust the length and draw weights.
It comes with extra accessories; hence you don’t have to worry about purchasing another gear. Consider this as the best Christmas, graduation, and birthday gift for your loved ones.
BEAR ARCHERY APPRENTICE 3 BOWS
Regardless of gender, the bow comes in pin Camo and Realtree APG. Besides, you will always thank the Bear Archery for creating this compact size and unique design bow. In other words, it can be used by youth of all heights.
It will prepare them to adjust to another compound bow level. The lightweight design also makes this best compound bow to shoot at an adequate distance, unlike other heavier models.
- It is a ready to hunt bow
- Well designed for young archers
- Comfortable adjustable draw weight and length makes it more versatile
- Comes with two smooth-cam system and new string suppression
- Weight: 2.9lbs; Length Range: 15”-27”; Let-Off: 70%; Brace Height: 6” Axle to Axle 27 ½”
- To be used by a right-hand person
Verdict: With less than $300, this is a reasonable price for this top notch bow since it can be utilized for years and years to come. It is well constructed to withhold wear and tear.
The feature and quality alone make this bow a better investment.
9. QUAD LIMB COMPOUND BOW BY SAS
It is one of the hottest compound bow sellers in the market due to the well-built finish and highest quality gear. The extra bonuses you get with this unique package is worth every cost, as it comes with complete 3-pin sights, quiver and arrow rest.
With a highly adjustable draw and super construction, this bow will last for lots of years to come.
The limbs are firmly equipped by pack pivoting limb pockets that allow the bow to form a unique connection with rigid tolerance for tremendous precision.
- Draw Weight: 35-65lb; Draw Length: 22-31”; Axle to Axle: 28”; Let off: 65%
- It is advisable to use a 30” arrow
- Maximum speed 235 FPS
- Feature the bubble grooves on the riser that ensures you have a sturdy grip
- 30”Carbon arrows recommended
- Includes the CNC machine twin cams for smooth shooting experience
- It is a right handed bow
Verdict: Not that this bow set doesn’t come with any assembly instructions, so it is important to ask a professional to help you and have your accessories installed in the best manner.
Considering that, also note that this best compound bow is best and will always be the finest for youth and beginners hunters. Overall: It is a set to impress compound bow.
DIAMOND BOWTECH RIGHT HAND COMPOUND BOW
That is something that is quite uncommon among the less expensive bows. Practically every compound bow technology that you have recently heard about or know is well incorporated into this bow: pivoting limb pockets, machined aluminium riser, custom two color octane ring, rotating modules, the throttle just to name but a few.
- Provides 10 times magnification and Center Focus System
- Very ready to withstand water and fog
- Comes with a well-made case
- Has a twist up eye cup
- Let off 70%; Core single cam system; 31” Axle to Axle length; Brace height: 7.3125.”
- Reflex aluminium riser
- Has a Mossy Oak Infinity Camo, Black Ops
- One piece synthetic grip
Verdict: I can only call it a “Wickedly” and fast 330 fps bow that is fully loaded for compact action. Don’t wonder how other models manufacturers are reacting about the extras of this best bow: Apex Fiber-optic Sight, Ultra-Lite 5-Arrow Quiver, Diamond S5 Stabilizer, Comfort Writ Sling, String Loop, Cable Silencers and an aluminium peep sight. You get it all for $440 (and free shipping, of course) what else could you ask for?
I bet you are in that silent moment and hoping to choose the best compound bow in one of my top ten lists. Even before starting, allow me to give an overview. The SAS compound bows are considered the best due to the installed eccentric system that enables you to move a stop pin from one hole to the next. The whole process helps you to get the optimum draw length. They are also the quietest bows in the market.
Also, the Bear Archery Bow is considered to prove the beginners that archery is the best outdoor skill by transitioning new and advanced features. The shooting speed and kinetic energy enhance the compound archery bows to succeed all other brands. It produces enough energy for hunting medium sized species.
I will not forget to mention the Barnett Vorx: This model is extremely lightweight and flexible enough to ensure you have reached a balanced adjustment level. The brand has created a well equipped and advanced carrying case, especially for traveling archers. Talking about warranty, you are 100% guaranteed to have a five years warranty from Bear Archery. All recommended for youth and beginners.
Additionally, the Diamond Bowtech bow has outwind my top ten list review. I always like to write and hear about this best compound bow. Why? I have one that has lasted for years. I am not thinking of changing another brand, simply because I have all the extras in one package. In all, it is very lightweight, can be used by any age, exemplary bow case. I don’t want to start it all. Choose the one that fits you best.